Saturday, October 22, 2011

Buyer Beware!! --Problems with Progressive Lense Glasses

Well, I guess I hit another mile stone indicating that I am getting older. One of the first indicators, when I was about thirty was that I started getting ties, socks and sweaters as birthday or Christmas gifts. Another,that I started experiencing a few years ago is falling asleep while watching TV- something I'd never done but fondly remember my father doing. In the last few days, its see the eye doctor and getting a prescription for, now don't laugh, Bifocal glasses! I was told that many people after they turn forty begin to have diminished reading ability, etc.

However, when I took my prescription to the lense and frame sellers, I was told that Progressive Lenses were the new bifocal without lines (actually, more of a multi-focal); and was the way to go. Its only been a few days but I am not convinced; and have been experiencing a number of problems, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, eye strain, eye pain and blurriness, etc.

With any new pair of glasses there is usually an initial time of adjusting to the new prescription. With Progressives, I am finding out that the adjustment period can take a few days to several weeks, and in some cases, a few months. I was never informed of this problem! After wearing them to work yesterday, I was ready to rip my eye balls out of socket! The eye strain and pain was like a slow torture. Everything felt blurry and I could not focus on anything longer than just a few seconds before I was hurting again. I had a hard time sleeping for several hours because of the pain.

My Reading experience is the worst! Reading is not only part of my job but one of my passions in life; and not being able to read without pain, discomfort, strain and blurriness, is simply miserable and disconcerting. I'm trying to give them a chance over the weekend but I am not at all happy with the possibility of a lengthy adjustment period before I can read again!

Buyer Beware!!

No comments: