Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recent Poems by Fr Aidan

The Grey in my Beard
by Jerry Aidan Hix on Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 5:09am

My beard is mostly grey now
My back stiff against the winds of time
Injuries take longer to heal
As years pass by like days

Our children are almost grown
Our once energetic Jack Russell
spends most of his days sleeping
waiting for the boys to come home from school
But what silence waits to break the heart
when school days are gone
and the boys only return for family visits?

There is a growing ache inside of me
Did I spend too much time chasing tomorrows dreams
to recognize the joy that was before me?
No more, pick me up Daddy or take me to the park
They seem to need me less and less now

Why does it take so long to realize what we had
when its too late to enjoy what we have?
Only memories swing on the playground at the park
Like ghosts whispering in the cold winter chill.

My beard has turned to grey, and
The years pass by quickly like the sunset of another day.
-Fr Aidan Hix, 2-03-2011


Squeezing of the Grape
by Jerry Aidan Hix on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 3:29am

I enjoyed a glass of Port wine tonight
As it burned my raw throat
the day after bowing before the porcelain bowl
But I was comforted by the sting and the potent draught
I drank deeply from the glass again, and slept.

My heart feels restless
We are restless til we rest in Thee!
Perhaps, but my sail has not billowed
in that wind for awhile

I am a hollow reed waiting to be played
What breath shall make music of my soul?
Perhaps I am off key, ruined, only to be discarded.
Rumi speaks of the Reed Flute's Cry!
When its cut off from the reed bed.
I am cut off and wait for my fulfillment.
My Return.

Let the divine wind blow through me!
Clear away the mire and the dross!
Bore away another hole if necessary
But play at least one mournful song
before casting my reed into the fire.

The grape was crushed and squeezed
before it ever filled my glass.
I enjoy the sweet raw fruit
and the juice that wets my parched lips
But the fermented wine sets my heart on fire
and lulls me into a gentle sleep.

-Fr Aidan Hix, February 2, 2011

The Lord of the Storm-
by Jerry Aidan Hix on Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 4:09am

The Lord of the Storm

Like a ship set free of her moorings and berth
To sail the high seas through the calm and tempest
The River of Life and the dark Womb of Creation releases us
A spark in mortal flesh, we slip forth on our way

Oft’ times the seas are calm, all is sublime
The Day Star shines its radiant head, golden mane burning
Sails raised high upon the mast, billowing in the wind
Our vessel cuts through the salty brine, churning up foam, toward the far horizon.

Whence cometh the storm tossed sea, with its tempest and gales?
Dark clouds and thunder, the booming of drums in the deep
Relentless waves pound against us, to weaken, wreck and ruin!
Our Bark creaks and groans under the crush and heavy strain, something breaks
White knuckled, clutching the solid mast, we ride against the wind.

The ship breaks upon the craggy shoreline, impaled on jutting rocks
Thrown into the churning sea, the surge overwhelming
Rising waves lift us up like an offering to angry gods
Then plunge us down into the dark maw, to swallow us whole
Prayers offered up to God, seem only to blow back hard upon our upturned faces

Look up, now, Our Captain comes riding his watery chariot, on the crest of stormy seas
Eyes ablaze, torches in the dark and the deep, the mane of his hoary head blows
Wildly in the wind and cold salty spray
Reach, take his hand, and climb up in the storm torn chariot!
All is now calm and tranquil, here, in the Eye of the Storm,
Where the Lord of the Storm dwells.

{A Poem by Fr Jerry “Aidan” Hix, inspired by a dear and precious friend and my adorable cousin Deanna


Down by the Riverside-A Prayer for my Uncle Troy
by Jerry Aidan Hix on Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:07am


Down by the Riverside
Where I played as a boy
The river rushes past me
In its wake, both sadness and joy

I watch the gulls fly ore the foam
Memories floating upon the water
I'd gone fishing in a boat with my Uncle
and the ghost of my dead Father

My flute plays a mournful song
As I sit alone upon the harsh rocks
Where water breaks as the tide comes in
I sit alone like the old abandoned dock

My Uncle is sleeping now
We pray for Him to Awake!
Please rise and take me fishing, Uncle!
Do not step off the dock into the cruel wake.

Down by the Riverside
Where I played as a boy
Let the waves wash over me
I want to fish even one more time
With my Dear Uncle Troy!

Grant me this prayer, this request dear Lord
Let me fish again, with my second father,
My dear Uncle Troy
Arise and Awake!
That is my prayer. Amen




What Name Defines Me?
by Jerry Aidan Hix on Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 3:06am

What Name Defines Me? and the Power of Namecraft


At birth my parents Named my Jerry
What does it mean to Name someone? something?
Once it was the power craft of priest or shaman
To create you into family, tribe or clan
Now it is often rendered without ritual and empty
As you grew a spiritual name or totem was bestowed
I was given two.

Jerry
It was my fathers name
But no one living remembers why
and I was never told.
I gave it to my son in honor of my father, my hero
The name flows from many places
Meaning Ruling Spear, Sacred Name, May God Exalt

Aodhan.
When I was made a Priest, I was given the name Aidan
Little Flame
Light of Christ
Light Bearer
But my heart is more inclined to darkness, divine darkness,
The Darkness of God
My little flame casts shadows all around

Jyoti Das.
Lover of the Light of God!
But where his light burns in darkness
In Clouds of Unknowing
Along the Path of Unmaking

Many Names of Affection
Husband,darling, dear,
Father, daddy, papa
Son, brother, uncle and Friend

Recently a friend said to me
I think I'll call you Seinfeld,
You are entertaining in the same kind of way!

I am all of these and more
Yet none of these and less

Light drives back the womb of darkness
But silhouettes dance on the wall
Ouroborus! The Serpent bites his tail.
From darkness to light, birth and knowledge
From Light back to darkness, death, abandonment
Then comes Resurrection! Life and Enlightenment!

What Name Defines Me?
...I Am.
But The I Am Summons me.
Seek Me in thyself as your deepest Thou
Seek Me in thyself as thy Thou
Seek Me in thyself as your I.

Until I Am, i shall seek for Thee.
A lover and bearer of The Divine Light
On a shadowed path with only a Lamp unto my feet
Where with Moses and other Hoary Headed Wanderers
I ascend the Mountain into the Dark Clouds of God
In the Face of the Son we behold darkness and
I shall be known as I Am known.

-A poem? or random thought inspired by one who called me Seinfeld,
by Fr. Aidan Hix+
11-20-2010

No comments: