Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Deepening Experience of Christophany and the Native American Flute

In the process of being challenged and stretched by Panikkar's christophanic vision, I take some comfort in his statement that he proposes "a deepening of classical christology." It's not a rejection of 2,000 years of Christian experience or thought but a "deepening." Rather than condensing Christ into dogmatic statements carved in stone, it is the spirit of the law- of experiencing Christ that deepens us.

It seems, in my mind, to be similar to the difference between Biblical and Hermeneutical study and Lectio Divina. The former is important, providing grammatical, historical, cultural context and theological reflection. Lectio, however, fleshes out the bare skeleton, gives breath and comes to life. One enters into the experience not just read about it. It is in this "deepening" that I feel "the yearning for the fullness of life."

Panikkar has mentioned "The Fullness" several times so far and again here. It was a gnostic term used to refer to the spiritual beings or forces believed to intervene between humanity and God; and Paul uses this term in several places to refer to the "fullness of God" dwelling bodily in Christ.

Recently, after many years since falling in love with the sound of the Native American Indian flute, I ordered one for myself and started learning to play. Primitive and tribal flutes, like this one, are not played according to western musical theory, reading music, or learning notes and scales. It's a harmonic experience of playing according to what one feels. Although there is pentatonic, Diatonic and Chromatic scales, primitive cultures did not have a way to record music, so each song, though perhaps similar, is individualistic and new. The length of the flute determines the key. There are a few basic techniques of fingering, vibrato and breath control but once these are learned, anyone can begin to play with the sounds and play what one's likes or feels. And the Native American flute has a block and a groove cut into it to channel the air over the fipple hole where the air stream is split creating sound, so it splits the sound for you, unlike western style flutes which require you to learn difficult techniques of splitting sound with your lips and a reed. There is no real right or wrong way to play, except learning these few basic techniques. Just play what you feel. It's a kind of spiritual experience. Of course, I am still screeching alot but having lots of fun with it.

This seems akin to Christophany versus Christology. They both have their own special characteristics. But christology, like western music theory, requires years of study and practice; whereas, christophany, like the Native American Flute can be experienced, perhaps after learning some simple basic practices, like Centering Prayer. and the "deepening" naturally progresses as you play. It also seems that these two different approaches to music (western or harmonic) and spirituality (theological or christophanic) can be complimentary and deepen the experience of the other.

All I know is, I've tried to learn to play multiple instruments in my life (drums, guitar, bass guitar, piano, etc) but for many reasons I did not stick with it; and as I became more focused on ministry and the academic preparation for ordination, the less time I had for anything else. I missed out on time with my wife and children. Each diploma I worked so hard for, seemed empty after receiving it.

But in contemplative prayer, though sometimes it is difficult to make myself take the one seat of meditation and become my own monastery, I am experiencing a "deepening;" though sometimes, it only comes after a season of being painfully stretched beyond my comfort zones. and with all my screeching and missing notes, I am for the first time, loving my experience of learning to play an instrument. Of course, once in awhile, I hit a note a little too wrong, and my dog tries to bite the flute!

No comments: